BSMI urges IKEA Taiwan to take action after recalling chests sold in China over safety concerns BSMI, MOEA July 12, 2016
Organization: Bureau of Standards, Metrology & Inspection, M.O.E.A., R.O.C. Publish Date: 2016-11-11 08:38
IKEA said on July 12, 1016 that it is recalling chests sold in China between 1999 and 2016, after carrying out a recall in North America, according to media reports. The Bureau of Standards, Metrology & Inspection (BSMI) contacted IKEA Taiwan on the same day and the company, in cooperation with the BSMI, has decided to take the following actions.
1) IKEA will offer free components and free loan of an electric drill to secure chests. Since July 5, 2016, the company has been sending staff to customer homes to ensure that chests are fixed to the wall.
2) Consumers can obtain full refund upon return of product.
3) Warning labels will be added to the outer packaging of products, stating that the products should be securely anchored to the wall. Safety information will also be provided on the IKEA digital catalogue.
4) Product safety information will be widely distributed in the display area, the pick-up area, the customer service counter and the cashier register. Staff education will also be carried out.
In addition, the BSMI, after discussing with IKEA Taiwan, asks the company to take the following proactive actions.
1) Where set-up assistance is required by the consumers, the IKEA will dispatch staff members to anchor the products to the wall with screws. Consumers refusing to anchor products in such a manner shall sign a proper document. Where consumers decide to assemble products on their own, the outer packaging shall be affixed with a clear warning label. Consumers will further be reminded to fasten the product to the wall at the cashier register and pick-up counter.
2) IKEA will contact consumers who have purchased their chests and provide free repair components. If needed, the company can help secure chests to the wall. The IKEA "Secure it!" Campaign is urging consumers to make sure chests, dressers and furniture are securely attached to the wall. Consumers can ask the store of purchase for free securing components or refer to the company website for more information.
Agency in charge: Planning, Inspection Administration & Management, Certification & International Cooperation Division (5th Division)
Contact person: Mr. June-Chieh Lai