:::

What's New

Macadamia nut sector in Africa (2)
Kind: ICD What's New  Organization: Department of International Cooperation  Publish Date: 2020-08-03 14:28
Macadamia nut sector in Africa (2)

Kenya is currently the third top macadamia nut producer in the world, behind only South Africa and Australia. The role of the macadamia nut as a cash crop for foreign exchange earnings has steadily increased in recent years. In 2018, Kenyan exports of macadamia kernel had a value of about US$13 per kilogram, making it one of the country’s most lucrative cash crops after tea.

The bulk of Kenyan macadamia nuts are produced by about 200,000 smallholder farmers in Murang'a, Bungoma, Meru and Taita Taveta. Kenyan production has increased rapidly during the last decade, from around 11,000 tons nut-in-shell (NIS) in 2009 to 42,500 in 2018. Kenya’s Agriculture and Food Authority estimates that with increased acreage under the crop, production will reach 60,000 tons NIS by 2022.
Key export destinations for Kenyan macadamia nuts are the U.S., the EU, Japan and mainland China. European imports have been on the rise in recent years, increasing from 1,268 tons in 2014 to 1,654 in 2018.

The growing EU demand is rooted in a greater interest among European consumers in food products with superior health benefits. About 80 percent of macadamia nuts consumed in the EU are eaten directly as snacks, with the remaining 20 percent being used as ingredients, such as in ice cream, cookies, etc. Macadamia nut imports into the EU from Kenya have been lower-priced than those from Australia or South Africa.

Source: Kenya Macadamia Nuts 2020, CBI
Hits:40

Update: 2020-04-23
Go Back Top
Department of International Cooperation
No.15, Fuzhou St., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City 100210, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
    
The site has been optimized for monitors with over 1024x768 resolution, with window maximized.
Best browse supported with IE, Firefox and Chrome.
Government Website Open Information Announcement | Privacy Policy | Security Policy MNS2